Support Pilgrims of Ibillin through Alternative or Fair Trade Giving in 2014. Your purchases or donations not only provide much-needed income for Christians in Israel/Palestine; you also tell “the Living Stones” that they are remembered and loved by brothers and sisters around the world.
Encourage your church or group to embrace one or more of these programs in 2015:
I. CARDS AS ALTERNATIVE GIFTS:
In exchange for a financial donation, members and friends of your church can receive a gift card showing that a gift has been given in honor of the person to whom they will give the card. Ideas for possible gifts/amounts:
• $8 provides one week’s tuition at Mar Elias High School, the school described in Archbishop Elias Chacour’s book We Belong to the Land.
• $10 provides a share of Science Lab equipment for the elementary school in Ibillin.
• $10 provides a transportation scholarship for a student who rides a bus an hour each way to attend MEEI.
• $25 provides a share of a new library server, to keep the campus links to the library’s computers from crashing on a daily basis.
• $36 provides a share in a peace education project involving Christians, Muslims, Jews, and Druze.
Questions? Contact Joan Deming. Click below for Gift Card pdfs that can be printed and made available for Alternative Gifts this Christmas:
Alt Xmas card 8.5×5.5 inches (8.5×11 inch paper or card stock, both sides)
Alt Xmas card 3.75×5.5 inches (8.5×11 inch paper, one side)
II. CHRISTMAS SEASON ALTERNATIVE GIFT SALES
Sell Bethlehem crafts — embroidered items and olive wood carvings and ornaments, made in Bethlehem by local artists. Gift items sold in the US directly support the families of the artists in Bethlehem. Order through Joan Deming, or have crafts sent directly to you from Wi’am Palestinian Conflict Resolution Center whose craft shop supplies these gifts.
Offer it to your congregation for a suggested donation (usually $5/bar). Soap sales allow Christians in the West Bank to support themselves when trade and travel restrictions prevent them from getting their olive oil to any other market. Since 2010 the sales of Zababdeh soap in the US have helped 20 local Zababdeh students attend the excellent local Catholic school — receiving a much better education than their families could otherwise afford.
Contact Joan Deming to have soap, wood carvings, or embroidered items shipped to you for Alternative Gift Fairs during the Advent season. Need more information about how this works? Call 608-241-9281 or email email@example.com.