In order to strengthen Pilgrims of Ibillin’s outreach while continuing our primary support relationship with the Mar Elias Educational Institutions, the Board of Directors nurtures partner relationships with six additional peace-building programs in Israel/Palestine. 90% of Pilgrims’ program funding still goes to the Mar Elias schools in Ibillin. The final 10% is divided between our Peace-building Partners for projects with goals similar to MEEI’s.
Since 2008, annual grants of $2,000 to $6,000 have been given to Peace-building Partner organizations beyond the Mar Elias Schools in Ibillin.
The following priorities guide our annual choice of Partners:
- Pilgrims invests in schools in Israel/Palestine that share the Mar Elias Educational Institutions’ goal of Building Peace on the Desktops of Students.
- We give Peace-building grants to support Palestinian Christians’ efforts to provide meaningful jobs and livable circumstances so that members of this community can remain and thrive in their homeland.
- We use Peace-building grants for unique projects where Pilgrims’ contribution clearly makes a key difference. We prefer that our funding will help something happen on its own, rather than being “one drop in a large bucket” of funding.
For 2016 our Peace-building Partners total $22,000 and include:
- The Diyar Consortium in Bethlehem (related to Christmas Lutheran Church) for girls’ soccer leadership training. $3,000
- The Friends’ Schools in Ramallah for scholarships. $1,000
- The Open House Preschool program for Arab Children in Ramle. $3,500
- The Seraj Library Project in the West Bank, providing new community libraries in villages near Ramallah and in Bethlehem’s Aida Camp. $3,000
- St. George’s Melkite Catholic Church for their job-creation projects and school fee scholarships. $6,000
- Wi’am Palestinian Conflict Resolution Center in Bethlehem. $6,000
- Middle East Children’s Alliance water purification system for a school in Gaza. $6,000
- Hope Secondary School in Beit Jala; scholarships for residential students. $6,000
To support any of those programs with a secure online gift, click here. Be sure to designate in the notes which programs your gift supports.